Remove scrolling tabs from QlikView Chart Properties

Remove scrolling tabs from QlikView Chart Properties

A short post today, but one that will fix a very common developer annoyance in QlikView 11 and 11.2; the scroll tabs in the chart properties dialog window. When you want to change properties on tabs that are on opposing sides of the tab row (for example, Dimensions and then Layout) you first have to click the scroll arrows before you can select the tab. Extremely annoying, if you ask me.

The fix

While browsing the Internet the other day I came across this instruction on PasteBin. It shows you how to make the chart properties window a little wider, so that the scroll arrows will no longer show up. Thanks anonymous benefactor who took the time to write this instruction!

The disclaimer

Of course, I am not responsible if you actually decide to try this fix. Use it at your own risk.

Wouldn’t it be great if…

… Qlik implemented this fix in their next service release?

And, while I am putting my wish list out there, some additional dialogs that I would liked improved are:

• The table viewer data preview dialog, enable maximize on it so we can see more rows and columns in a single view.
  • The variable overview dialog, also enable maximize so we can more easily read the information in the individual columns.

What kind of (minor) user interface improvements would you like to see in QlikView 11 & 11.2? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comments.

Jeroen Jordaan
    October 27, 2014 - 16:21 | Permalink

Thanks for this post.
    This was always annoying to me.

October 27, 2014 - 21:23 | Permalink

Dear Lord, why couldn’t you have sent me this 3 years ago!

🙁

October 27, 2014 - 21:41 | Permalink

Thanks for sharing Barry! I don’t know anyone who was not annoyed when the scrolling tabs arrived in QlikView.

Vlad Gutkovsky
    October 28, 2014 - 03:24 | Permalink

Barry, really cool, thanks for sharing!

Vlad Gutkovsky
    October 28, 2014 - 03:31 | Permalink

And, by the way, I can confirm that it works. I wish I knew who the author of that original post was so I could give you guys both credit!

Frank
    October 28, 2014 - 13:23 | Permalink

Good post Barry.

In my opinion there a few improvements possible. An easy one is for example: The possibility to promote a new dimension/expression directly to the top instead of clicking the button multiple times. This can be useful when you have a lot of dimensions/expressions.

An improvement on the table viewer will be the possibility to export the data (or a copy-paste function). Bit off-topic, perhaps 😉

Frank

Nenad Vukovic
    October 28, 2014 - 15:19 | Permalink

This is a copy from LinkedIn:

Wow… thank you Barry and anonymous friend. This is truly fantastic 🙂

I’ve been annoyed with this for years and was thinking to report it to QlikTech but … While reading this I am sure a lot of people have done it already and am really sorry there was no fix/response from QlikTech.

Barry, thank you for sharing it once more. This has made my day, a whole year infact 🙂 Cheers

Eldad T.
    October 28, 2014 - 16:42 | Permalink

Nice one!

Genius!

Oli
    October 29, 2014 - 12:15 | Permalink

I have hated this part of the dialog box since I started using QlikView. I could never understand why the left arrow was not over on the left side of the tabs (having already moved the mouse over there to find the tab missing and then having to scroll all the way back to the right just to find the missing tabs!!). Another thing I would love to see added to QlikView is from Excel, whereby you open a properties window; make some changes and then instead of closing that window you can select another object (because the properties window is modeless) and the window now displays the relevant properties for you to make changes.

Diego
    October 30, 2014 - 01:36 | Permalink

Good one Barry! Was waiting for this forever!
    Another one maybe is the buggy debugging dialog. after resizing the bottom part is not fully chown next time you use it, so you make it bigger and then next time the bottom padt is missing again…

Overall would be nice to just resize dialogs.. most of them are fixed size

Diego

October 31, 2014 - 19:31 | Permalink

Thanks for sharing Barry, this guy really deserves a medal!

nico wuite
    November 2, 2014 - 10:04 | Permalink

A nice interface improvement and easy to apply. Thanks for sharing.

Jatish
    November 4, 2014 - 13:26 | Permalink

Great tip.

Is anyone having trouble with the Symbol section in the Number tab after applying this fix?

The symbol section seems to have moved up and is partially hidden by the Iso and System buttons,

November 4, 2014 - 15:52 | Permalink

Hi Jatish,

No problems here (just checked). Did you accidentally modify the numbers tab as well by any chance?

Jatish
        November 17, 2014 - 12:21 | Permalink

No, I definitely modified the 498/1033 dialogue box.

Maybe its something related to the resolution I am using.

Below is a link to the a screenshot of how it is displayed.

Number Tab Screenshot

Regards
        Jatish

Jerome Couzy
    November 6, 2014 - 11:15 | Permalink

Thanks god, three years later!

I have however stumbled upon cases where the tabs were actually all displayed by default.
    I have the feeling -even if I didn’t validate it- that it was happening with very wide screens.

Thanks for the share!

November 6, 2014 - 13:22 | Permalink

Nice, it’s working!

Sivaraj
    November 17, 2014 - 09:07 | Permalink

Hi barry,

I came through your post found very useful.Obviously i hate the scroll in chart. But am not able use your fix,
    1. how to maximize the table viewer data preview dialog box? since there is button available.
    2. in variable overview, where to do the maximize?

Ashish
    December 1, 2014 - 14:38 | Permalink

Dear Barry Harmsen,

I am new to this all and also working for this Rnd but unfortunately I am not able to implement it.
    Cam you please help me out in doing so.

Thanx in Advance

Ashish Kalia
    Consultant BI nad RnD
    IRT Computer Solutions

December 1, 2014 - 16:47 | Permalink

Hi Ashish,

Unfortunately I am unable to help you any further with this, it might be a better idea if you ask a colleague for help.

Ashish
    December 1, 2014 - 14:40 | Permalink

OOPS sry for the spelling mistakes.

Ashish
    December 2, 2014 - 08:40 | Permalink

HI Barry Harmsen,

Thanx for acknowledging, it worked and fortunately I was able to implement the same.

Thanx and thanx a lot for posting and sharing.It really worked like magic and also not jst the scroll but we can make a lots of changes to the qlikview by the same way and can achieve a customized Qlikview.

December 3, 2014 - 02:47 | Permalink

Hi, I am unable to open the link – error “server busy”, can someone please post the solution on this website?

Jatish
      December 4, 2014 - 11:15 | Permalink

Remove scrolling tabs in QlikView 11 & 11.2 Chart Properties
      ============================================================

Follow these steps to remove the scrolling tabs in the QlikView 11 and 11.2 Chart Properties window:

* When using the English version: make a backup of QvResx64_English.dll (located in C:\Program Files\QlikView)
      * When using another language: make a backup of the DLL for your language (for example QvResx64_German.dll)
      * Download, install and launch Resource Hacker (available from http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/)
      * Open the backup of QvResx64_English.dll in Resource Hacker
      * Navigate to Dialog -> 498 -> 1033, this should be the Dimension Limits dialog
      * On the first line change ‘498 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 403, 233’ to ‘498 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 500, 233’
      * Click the Compile Script button
      * Save the DLL and copy it over the original file in C:\Program Files\QlikView (keep a backup of the original file!)
      * Presto, no more scrolling tabs!

January 12, 2015 - 05:08 | Permalink

Hi Barry

This may not be the best place to put this comment, but if you are looking for more suggestions for improvements to throw at Qlik, I would love it if when entering variables for Set Analysis, a drop down box of all of the options could appear. e.g. sum({}sales).

Colin Albert
    January 30, 2015 - 12:59 | Permalink

Excellent. Don’t know why Qlik can’t get this right in a service release!

March 13, 2015 - 15:22 | Permalink

Anyone noted that the actual size of the dialog properties is compatible with 800 x 600 screen size ?

Who else still use Qlikview in a 800×600 display ?

Best Regards,

Pablo

John R.
    April 6, 2015 - 20:14 | Permalink

Other suggestions:
    1) Make the debug screens use the same tabs as the script tabs
    This would make it much easier to find the point in the script to add the breakpoints.

2) associate breakpoints with the actual line(s), not the line number.
    Currently, the breakpoints are associated with a script line number, but if I add/remove lines, the breakpoint very often ends up on a space or comment line and the breakpoint is skipped.

3) It would be nice to be able to disable individual script tabs so I could run just the portion of the code I’m interested in debugging. (would then like to have a warning message at reload telling me I have some script tabs disabled)

David Alcobero
    April 15, 2015 - 14:48 | Permalink

Just discover this post now. Thanks!!

Rogier
    June 25, 2015 - 17:06 | Permalink

If you have the same frustration with the size of the [Variable Overview] screen: check out page 343:1033, change the dimensions (e.g. 600, 470) and move/resize the objects to fit the dimensions.

Hans
    March 8, 2016 - 12:00 | Permalink

and the problem still exist in Qlik 12???

The same fix still take care of the problem, but seriously…
    It take 5 min to fix… Come on Qlik…

/Hans