Using QlikView with the Leap Motion Controller

QlikView and Leap Motion? Shut up and take my money!In May of last year I became aware of a new and, dare I say, revolutionary 3D gesture controller; the Leap Motion. After seeing the slick video, I knew I had to have one, how cool would it be to use this with QlikView?

Unfortunately, these units weren’t for sale yet. And to be honest, this looked like another cool gadget that gets hyped for two weeks before, for whatever reason, fading back into obscurity. Noticing Leap had a Developers Wanted page, I figured “why not” and signed up, not expecting to hear anything after that.

You can imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago I received an email from Leap saying they were ready to ship my developer kit. Today I arrived home to find the package from Leap had arrived!

I quickly hooked it up to my computer and played around with it for a bit. Overall, I must say that this controller probably works as advertised (the included example applications all work well). Unfortunately, a good mouse/touch driver is currently not yet available. I understand that one is available, but that it is being purposely held back by Leap so that developers focus on integrating the Leap controller into their software. It should be available when the device gets nearer to its consumer launch. Fair enough.

Fortunately, I found a third party mouse emulator and was able to take QlikView for a test drive. The video below shows the result.

As you can see, it’s not entirely accurate yet, but that will probably change once the native touch driver is released. The other thing I noticed is that this probably isn’t how you’ll want to work with QlikView for longer periods of time, “Gorilla arm” seems very likely. As an additional input method however, augmenting the regular mouse and keyboard with gestures, it could be quite useful.

The Leap Motion has a (still fairly limited) JavaScript library, in the near future I’ll probably be exploring the option of using this in a document extension to add gestures to the QlikView AJAX client. Stay tuned!

February 3, 2013 - 12:59 | Permalink

you shouldn’t be trembling or you get the weirdest results ….:-)

February 3, 2013 - 17:42 | Permalink

🙂

Yes, using this device to control a small pointer on screen is definitely not the way to go. You also do not want to be holding up your arms all the time, it quickly becomes uncomfortable.

It might be interesting to add gestures to QlikView, though I doubt it’ll be more efficient than the current input methods. Still, sometime you just have to try out something new 🙂

February 21, 2013 - 06:56 | Permalink

Very cool Barry. Will you be bringing it to the Las Vegas conference?

February 21, 2013 - 22:59 | Permalink

Hi Rob,

Sure, I’ll bring it along so people can try it out.

October 5, 2013 - 15:15 | Permalink

Saw what you did there- this has been on my mind for a very long time now and i admit I am pretty excited to see what you have done.. The key is to integrate a few more gestures within the QlikView capabilities – like zooming in will drill down to the underlying data set (more like minority report i would say..

I would be excited to see this in full flow in Qonnections 2014!!

Cheers!
    Chaitanya

November 30, 2013 - 18:05 | Permalink

Very cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing the possibilities with this. Just hope we can get our hands on a qlikview next beta asap as a lot of things under the hood are likely to change.

Hope to see you at Qonnections -14

/Jonas

Mikael
    December 9, 2015 - 11:23 | Permalink

What about KinectV2 for windows? It would be nice to have in meeting rooms, as it can handle multiple hands/persons.