Announcing QlikView 11 for Developers: The Book

QlikView 11 for Developers book coverAfter many months of hard work, today I am proud and excited to announce the upcoming release of the new QlikView book that Mike García and I wrote together:

QlikView 11 for Developers

With 500 pages of original content and an extensive collection of code samples, we believe this book contains everything new (and seasoned) QlikView developers should know in order to put QlikView 11 to productive use.

The book will be published by Packt Publishing and is scheduled for release on November 15th. If you want to secure a copy for yourself, pre-orders can be placed via this page.

Of course, writing a book is not a solo (or in our case, duo) exercise. Mike and I could not have done it without the great contributions of:

Donald Farmer Foreword Blog @donalddotfarmer
Ralf Becher Technical review Blog @TIQView
Steve Dark Technical review Blog @quintelligence
Stephen Redmond Technical review Blog @stephencredmond
John Trigg Code support @qt_trigjoh
Rashmi Phadnis Acquisition editor @rashp
Joanne Fitzpatrick Acquisition editor
Sai Gamare Project coordinator @saigamare
Anugya Khurana Project coordinator
Ankita Shashi Lead Technical editor
Nitee Shetty Technical editor

In the coming weeks, we will be giving you insights into the book and will also be giving away a few copies, so be sure to watch this space. You can get notified of new posts by entering your email address in the input box in the top right corner of this page.

Update 2012/11/20: yesterday we were informed by the publisher that both the print version and the e-book will be released on November 23rd.

Update 2012/11/23: the book is now available for sale! (Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Packt)

Update 2012/11/29: for those that are unable to download the code bundle from the publisher’s website, you can also download it from this link: http://bit.ly/CodeBundle

Kev Rowland
    October 25, 2012 - 14:06 | Permalink

This is really good news, thanks. I’m so looking forward to being able to get this and gain more out of my investment in QlikView. I’m at the Teradata conference in DC this week and it is exciting to hear about QV’s new way of working with Teradata.

Linda Monincx
    October 25, 2012 - 17:12 | Permalink

Good Work!!! can’t wait to read it 🙂
    Regards,
    Linda

October 25, 2012 - 19:46 | Permalink

Wow, nice job guys!

Rob
    October 25, 2012 - 20:50 | Permalink

Looking forward to the 15/11

October 25, 2012 - 20:57 | Permalink

Great!
    I’m going to pre order it right now!
    Thanks!

October 26, 2012 - 01:39 | Permalink

Great to see that you are finally able to go public with this. I can vouch for it being a great read and would like to thank you and Mike for all the effort that went in to creating this excellent offering to the QlikView Community.

Le Scorda
    October 26, 2012 - 17:41 | Permalink

Congrats, great news!!!
    Are you planning a e-book version?

October 26, 2012 - 19:08 | Permalink

Hi,

Yes, the ebook version will be released at the same time as the regular book.

Le Scorda
        October 26, 2012 - 20:16 | Permalink

Great news!!!

October 27, 2012 - 14:54 | Permalink

Hi Barry: Congratulations on this achievement. You finally did it!

Kevin Rowland
    October 29, 2012 - 06:26 | Permalink

We have ordered it today – just need for it to find it’s way down to NZ now..

Thanks Barry

Kev

Borja R.
    October 29, 2012 - 10:08 | Permalink

It’s great to see this great piece of QlikView knowledge being released, so everyone can learn from the QV experts (Barry, Ralf, Stephen, Steve…).

Best,

@borodri

Alan Farrell
    October 29, 2012 - 14:27 | Permalink

Congratulations on the book, can’t wait to get a copy, great to see an Irishman (Stephen Redmond) was part of the Technical Review.

All the best

@rustyfishbones

Jack Duineveld
    October 29, 2012 - 17:15 | Permalink

Congratulations on the book! You’ve got all the reasons to be very proud!
    Hope developers will give you credits and find it useful.
    All the best,
    Jack

October 30, 2012 - 05:10 | Permalink

Congratulations on such a big achievement! I know writing a book is a ton of work. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Anil Bhikhie
    October 30, 2012 - 19:56 | Permalink

Congratzz Barry! Looking forward to read your book!

vasim
    October 30, 2012 - 21:17 | Permalink

Congratulation.
    Very much Excited.
    I hope this book will change my way of seeing and working in qlikview environment.

Mark Anthony C Julian
    October 31, 2012 - 07:19 | Permalink

Hi,

Congrats! This will be useful to all Qlikview Developer..

Good luck

i

Gaurav Malhotra
    October 31, 2012 - 08:23 | Permalink

Hi,

How to order this fine book. dying to read this book.

Regards & Congrats to whole team

David Takahashi
    November 2, 2012 - 20:25 | Permalink

I ordered your book months ago. Good news it will be shipped in November!

Look forward to the read, and am hoping you have information on building extensions in it. That would be icing on the cake!

Thanks, and thanks to your team!

David

Miguel M.
    November 3, 2012 - 11:19 | Permalink

Congrats!!

Will be translated to others languages?

November 3, 2012 - 11:40 | Permalink

Hello Miguel,

As far as I am aware, there are not yet any plans to translate the book into other languages. You could ask the publisher, Packt Publishing, via [email protected]. I imagine the publisher might be willing to do a translation if they feel there’s enough demand for it.

Joao Morgado
    November 6, 2012 - 01:52 | Permalink

Very nice. Waiting for it!

Marko Banjanin
    November 12, 2012 - 03:12 | Permalink

Hello Barry,

Will definitely get and read the book. Been waiting for such a book for quite some time now. Amazon says the book will be available in Dec. I hope it comes out sooner than that

Regards,
    Marko

Omur Tirol
    November 12, 2012 - 09:04 | Permalink

Thanks Barry. It was really the missing on the Qlikview world. Can’t wait to buy one.

Regards,
    Omur

Roel van Wijk
    November 15, 2012 - 21:15 | Permalink

Hey Barry. Goed werk man! Ik ben zeker van plan om er één aan te schaffen. Groeten Roel

Harshad
    November 19, 2012 - 07:33 | Permalink

Hey Barry,
    I bought the book today, 19-Nov but it says its still on pre-order?
    Any firmed up date for release? eagerly waiting for the book 🙂

November 19, 2012 - 12:40 | Permalink

Hi Harshad,

The book was sent to the printer last Friday (November 16th). The e-book should be available by tomorrow, the print version should follow a few days later.

thomas
    November 19, 2012 - 16:47 | Permalink

Hi – Is this book good to read if i want to take an certification in qlikview 11 developer?? 🙂 Or should i buy something else?

November 21, 2012 - 21:21 | Permalink

Hello Thomas,

Of course! This book should get you at least 80% to 90% there. IMHO, the remaining knowledge and understanding can only be acquired by further hands-on practice and exploration.

thomas
        November 22, 2012 - 13:07 | Permalink

Is it avaliable now ?

Renan Rangel
    November 23, 2012 - 14:04 | Permalink

Can´t wait to read your book. I pre-ordered it at PacktPub.com, do you know when the ebook version is going to be avaliable?

Thanks!

Ron
    November 23, 2012 - 17:48 | Permalink

Hi,
    I ordered the book but can’t download it.
    When the book will be available ?

Ron
    November 24, 2012 - 10:11 | Permalink

Hi it’s nov 24 and I still can’t download the book
    I ordered from pactpub
    I saw that amazon already sell the ebook
    Why to do a pre-order if you can get it before from amazon?

November 25, 2012 - 20:22 | Permalink

All,

We were told by the publisher that the book would be available last Friday. Somehow, this has not happened. The website status has been updated (it no longer shows as pre-order), but the books have not been sent out.

You can imagine that, to put it very mildly, I am not very pleased with this either. The book’s final manuscript has been delivered to the publisher by Miguel and me a few weeks ago already. We are also anxiously awaiting the final result of our many months of work.

As it is weekend now, I am unable to contact the publisher directly to resolve this. I have emailed them though, and have demanded a guaranteed and definitive date for the delivery of the book. I will follow-up on this tomorrow and will keep you updated.

thomas
      November 27, 2012 - 13:51 | Permalink

I now got the ebook from packtpub – but is there no files along with it? Im thinking of case files.

November 27, 2012 - 15:45 | Permalink

Hi Thomas,

The files should be online at PacktPub tomorrow, in the mean time, you can use think link to download the files: http://bit.ly/CodeBundle (it’s an 840 MB file, so it might take a while)

thomas
          November 27, 2012 - 18:10 | Permalink

Thank you very much! Now i will read the book and take my certification next week 🙂

Looking forward to see some nice tips and tricks – and too understand different subjects better.

Person
    November 26, 2012 - 22:35 | Permalink

Will all books from different resellers contain some kind of redeemable code for an eBook? Or will only purchases directly from PacktPub include a free eBook?

November 27, 2012 - 19:05 | Permalink

Hi,

To be honest, I am not sure if this is the case (and could not really get an answer either). I guess the safest route is to order directly from Packt. The ebook they supply can be downloaded in PDF, EPUB and MOBI and can be sent to your Kindle reader. You can also access the book via the online Packt Library.

Maybe someone who bought the book through another channel can answer this question?

Scott
    November 28, 2012 - 02:59 | Permalink

I just purchased the book from Packt and downloaded the e-book but I have no option to download the example QVD files. My email account is registered but the “Download Code” link does not appear. What am I missing?

November 28, 2012 - 08:53 | Permalink

Hi Scott,

The files should already be online at PacktPub, in case they’re note, you can use this link to download the files: http://bit.ly/CodeBundle (840 MB)

Scott
        November 28, 2012 - 09:06 | Permalink

Thanks so much. I had submitted a ticket with Packt and they mentioned it would be 48 hours but the link makes it so much quicker.

Excited to get started!

Scott
          November 28, 2012 - 09:10 | Permalink

Just in case anyone else is having issues – the code link is now posted on Packt.

November 28, 2012 - 09:11 | Permalink

All is well in book land…I got official word that the book is available and indeed it is. I downloaded my formats from my account. The code download appears to be broken, but you have provided an alternative.
    WOOHOO!!! Way to go Barry!!!!

Paras
    November 29, 2012 - 08:57 | Permalink

Well the code file is not valid. Every time you download it, the file size is different. If anyone has downloaded a valid file please email it to me or send me the link.

Thanks,
    Paras.

Paras
    November 29, 2012 - 10:28 | Permalink

I downloaded the code successfully. Thank You Barry Barry Much 🙂

srinivas
    December 9, 2012 - 20:13 | Permalink

Hello Barry/Miguel

I pre-ordered the book, I am new to qlikview. I have good understanding on QV before I started reading this book. This book is simply superb, amazing work has done by authors. Very well planned the way example selected through the book and explanation. I could not find a single mistake so far i read 5 chapters. Gives lot of information from basics to high level which you will find or very hard to find any whre else. We can authors dedication, passion and hardwork in this book. Thank you so much.

srinivas
      December 9, 2012 - 20:17 | Permalink

** TYPO, I mean to say we can not find this information anywhere else.

Kiran
    February 7, 2013 - 16:30 | Permalink

Very good book.

Thanks for helping QV developers.