QlikView Easter Egg

At least, I hope it´s a sense of humor, and not a new feature for QlikView.Next :)

A fun little easter egg that shows the boys and girls at QlikView R&D have a sense of humor. Entering the expression:

=’qmem://<bundled>/Images/clippy.png’

into a text object and choosing the Image representation shows our old *ahem* friend Clippy. Or should I say Qlikky?

Besides Clippy, there are actually a lot more images embedded in QlikView than just those listed under <bundled>/BuiltIn. Almost all of the images in the QlikView user interface (and lots more) can be referenced via the hidden folder <bundled>/Images. In the application that you can download below, you will find an overview of all hidden embedded images.

Download the QlikView hidden embedded images application

Update 2013/03/27: an awesome easter egg that I seem to have missed (because it’s a JPG instead of a PNG):

=’qmem://<bundled>/DevTeam.jpg’

This shows a picture of the QlikView development team. Credits for this discovery go to blog.heldendaten.net (an interesting blog, by the way).

Enrique
    September 21, 2012 - 14:06 | Permalink

Really cool ! ..thanks for the trick
    Just for curiosity ..about the hidden folder ..I tried unhidding hidden files and folders in windows explorer ..but I can´t see these bundled folders in the Qview installation folder …how are these really hidden for the user ?

September 21, 2012 - 14:13 | Permalink

Hi Enrique,

I simplified things a bit for the post, the images are actually embedded in the QlikView software (QV.exe).

Damien Coueron
    September 21, 2012 - 18:10 | Permalink

I would be curious to know how you found them…!

September 21, 2012 - 19:33 | Permalink

Hi Damien,

I was troubleshooting an issue that required looking at QVS.exe in a hex editor (long story). While looking through the file, I noticed that there were lot of PNG file names embedded in plain text.

As these files are not found anywhere in the QlikView folders (and could also not be found when looking at the .exe in a resource editor), I decided to check the file for a PNG signature. This signature is a series of bytes that identifies PNG data. I found loads of hits, so the files were indeed embedded within the .exe file.

Noticing that the images are stored in the same way as the built-in images, I decided to try accessing them in the same manner (=’qmem:///Images/whatever.png’) and succeeded. Browsing through the images, I suddenly saw Clippy…

Damien Coueron
    September 21, 2012 - 19:43 | Permalink

Nice work!

Daniel
    September 21, 2012 - 19:49 | Permalink

Great find! Do you know of any way to change the default PNG for any of these embedded images? Since the files are in the exe, I’m not super hopeful…Thanks!

Galina
    September 25, 2012 - 00:07 | Permalink

Great. Thanks a lot.

Sree
    December 3, 2012 - 23:56 | Permalink

Thats Great. I am unbale to download the file. Please help me how to download this file.