Just when I thought it was out…

By Barry Harmsen

 

I usually advise my clients not to upgrade to a new major QlikView version until the SR1 release is available. You can imagine that I was quite excited when QlikView 11 SR1 was released little over a week ago, finally could my existing QlikView customers use the cool new features of QlikView 11! Notes! Session collaboration! Document extensions!

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm rapidly diminished when I did a SiB (Seeing is Believing, or QlikView Proof of Concept) last week. I found SR1 contained bugs that made it unworkable for me. Amongst other things, initial data reduction with section access was not working and actions assigned to text/button objects would not work on the iPad. QlikTech must have realized this as well, as the SR1 release is no longer available for download at this moment.

I am back on the initial release now, which, given previous experiences with initial releases,  has actually been working much better than expected for me. I would actually go so far as to say that it has been working perfectly for me, with the exception of one very annoying bug.

I like to use lots of tabs in my script, to nicely indent various levels in loops etc. , but also to neatly align aliases. I also like to jump around the script a lot, switching between tabs and often using my mouse to position the cursor or to double-click a field name to select and copy it. This is where QlikView 11 IR introduced a bug that is really annoying when you do a lot of script development; when there are tabs in a line, QlikView will often position the cursor in the wrong place, as shown in the image below.

 

 

I reported this bug back in January (ID 44840) and was told that it would be fixed in SR1. I noticed that it hadn’t been fixed in last week’s SR1, but hopefully it will be fixed when the real SR1 is released.

I promise my next post will be less rant-y ;) In the mean time, I am quite interested to hear your thoughts and opinions about rolling out QlikView 11 IR at existing customers.

Update: QlikTech released a technical bulletin about the SR1 withdrawal.

About The Author

Barry Harmsen

Hi there, I'm Barry and I'm an independent Business Intelligence Consultant based in the Netherlands. Originally from a background of 'traditional' Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence and Performance Management, for the past few years I have been specializing in QlikView and a more user-centric form of BI. I have done numerous QlikView implementations in many different roles and industries. In 2012 I co-authored the book QlikView 11 for Developers. You can follow me on Twitter at @meneerharmsen.

3 Comments

  • 1
    March 28, 2012 - 01:03 | Permalink

    In my opinion it is best for production environments to stay on QV10 SR4. I would never use an IR in production for any software solution. After QV11 SR1 is rereleased (maybe being named SR2), tested in your own development environment and tested in an acceptance environment by your customer, then you’ve taken all the precautions to rollout QV11 SRx in production. Nicely according the basic DTAP principle.
    Regards, Sander Janssen | outformation.nl

  • 2
    March 29, 2012 - 12:27 | Permalink

    I waited also for the SR1 before installing the version 11.

    At first I wondered if I never noticed this strange mouse selection behaviour before in version 10 sr4, but finding your article, it’s not my fault .

    Thanks for sharing this bug information

    Other small issue I had on v11 to fix : chr(13) had to be changed to chr(10)

  • 3
    Jeremy
    May 8, 2012 - 18:03 | Permalink

    Same here, I never roll out an IR for my clients or for my own purposes. Life is too short to work out bugs a QA dept should have found.

  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

    Read previous post:
    Prevent fuzzy images when exporting QlikView graphs

    A short post today on an 'annoyance' that invariably pops up at my clients; when copy and pasting images of...

    Close